Stella di Imbrogliado has always made the most of bad situations – but when her life takes a major detour and her loved-ones betray her, she reroutes her journey altogether. With nothing left to lose, she departs her old life by enlisting in the U.S. Air Force. In this bizarre new world where orders are shouted, showers are a social event, and sweat is the ultimate beauty aid, she taps her unimagined strength and begins to see that her worst day may have been the biggest blessing of her life.
May you be surrounded by warmth and love, Your table laden with good food, And may laughter echo throughout your home Today and always. Happy Thanksgiving. Here's a link to my latest newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/60b30f3c50d0/happy-thanksgiving
Happy birthday to the hard-charging death machines fondly known as U.S. Marines! May your aim be true And your friends truer, May your glass stay full, And your pockets fuller. May love and laughter Haunt all your days, And may Jody stay far, Far, far away.
Stella isn't the same doormat whose life shattered on that dreary winter day. She braved screeching training instructors, crawled through fire ants, and endured the world's most awkward showers on her journey to empowerment. Then there's Gabe McCreary, a wounded warrior who is battling post traumatic stress, missing home, and adjusting to his changed physique … Continue reading Taking Flight: Turbulence
Taking Flight: Departure (as seen on donnafayewrite.wordpress.com) is now available at your favorite online digital book retailers! Stella di Imbrogliado has always made the most of bad situations – but when her life takes a major detour and her loved-ones betray her, she reroutes her journey altogether. With nothing left to lose, she departs her … Continue reading Taking Flight: Departure
– An anagram meaning Could Not Duplicate. “Congratulations, Airman Tobias,” Sgt. Compton called out as she entered Stella’s tiny office. “You’re now officially deployable.” She let out a whoop of joy. The timing couldn’t be more perfect with fall semester starting at the end of the month. She could finally finish her degree. “I’m proud … Continue reading Chapter 16: “CND”
– A coin bearing an organization’s insignia, carried by the unit members, traditionally given to prove membership and enhance morale. Widely collected by service members, they’re normally presented by commanders for recognition of special achievement. Stella knew she had to act fast with SERE because they were always busy, and notoriously shied away from PA … Continue reading Chapter 15: “Challenge Coin”
– An insult insinuating that someone is slow or stupid. The phrase refers to the military entrance exam, and alleges that their results were waived to allow their enlistment despite questionable intellect. The workload in ComRel, though heavy, lacked the constant deadlines, immediacy of action, and tediousness of tending the minute details of newspaper work. … Continue reading Chapter 14: “ASVAB Waiver”
–A derogatory term for the Air Force, often given by members of other military branches. This is in reference to the perception that many Air Force personnel spend their time "flying a desk," i.e. doing office work of various sorts. It was late in the evening when she first spied the bright lights of the … Continue reading Chapter 13: “Chair Force”
– The Force Protection Condition Level that denotes a situation when an instance occurs or when intelligence reports imminent terrorist activity. Stella gulped when she spied the giant stack of paperwork on George’s desk. “Alright Darlin’” George said getting Stella’s attention as she sat in the chair next to him in his home office. “Here’s … Continue reading Chapter 12: “FPCON CHARLIE”
– An alphanumeric code used by the U.S. Air Force to identify an airman’s career field as well as their skill level. Because of a paperwork snag, the school delayed Stella’s start to classes by a few weeks, leaving her in a sort of tedious holding pattern as she waited for the next class cycle … Continue reading Chapter 11: “AFSC”